Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Service Opportunities
There are many exciting opportunities for Extension Master Gardener℠ volunteers to fulfill their volunteer commitment in Union County. These include:
- Teaching/Demonstration Gardens – Help us plan, develop and maintain educational demonstration gardens at the Union County Agricultural Center. The garden displays sustainable gardening and ecological design principles and serves as a training lab for volunteers and the public.
- Public/Outreach – Provide information on sustainable gardening to local residents and groups through talks and demonstrations, articles, social media, and other methods. This may also include assisting the agent with Extension Master Gardener volunteer classes.
- Growline/Plant Clinic – Help staff a gardening hotline that provides advice and educational assistance to local residents. Promote the Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program and answer gardening questions at local events, farmers markets, and festivals.
- Educational Resources – Develop educational resources for Union County residents.
- Youth Outreach – Develop and lead gardening and environmental education activities for youth participating in 4-H summer camp and other 4-H events.
- After-school program – Work to provide hands-on lessons in the garden to children who participate in the after-school program through the city recreation program.
- Program Management – Assist with management of the EMG Program. For example, help plan classes for the public, field trips for EMG, assist the communications team with keeping our website up to date or facilitate communication through newsletters, monthly meetings and/or social media.
- Fundraising – Help with plant sales, assist with grant applications, and seek resources to support our educational outreach efforts.
As our program expands, additional opportunities will develop to support and expand our educational outreach programs.