Extension Master Gardener Program of Union County 2020 Training Schedule
Extension Master Gardener℠ Program of
2020 Training Schedule
Attend an Information Session
The first step in becoming an Extension Master Gardener℠ (EMG) volunteer in Union County is attending an information session. During this session, you will learn what it means to be an EMG and the training and volunteer requirements for the program. This will help you decide if becoming an EMG is the right choice for you. All sessions are the same, please choose one that fits your schedule.
Sessions are scheduled for:
Jan. 22, 10 a.m. – Duncan McDonald House -115 N McDonald St, Waxhaw, NC 28173
Jan. 23, 2 p.m. – UC West Library – 123 Unionville-Indian Trail Rd, Indian Trail, NC 28079
Jan. 23, 6 p.m. – N.C. Cooperative Extension, Union County Center – 3230 Presson Rd, Monroe, NC 28112
Attend at Least 6 Extension Gardener Classes this Spring
In addition to being part of the EMG training, Extension Gardener volunteer classes are open to the public. Cost is $60 for all seven classes or $10 for individual classes. Sign up for all seven classes and save $10! For those intending to apply to the Extension Master Gardener℠ training, you must attend six out of the seven classes. Anyone can register for and attend these classes, each of which will be offered twice, on a Tuesday evening and again on Wednesday morning:
Click on each class for full details and registration information
- Growing Fruits & Berries, Feb. 11 & 12
- Growing Vegetables & Herbs, Feb. 18 & 19
- Lawns & Lawn Alternatives, Feb. 25 & 26
- Compost & Soil Amendments, March 3 & 4
- Perennials & Annuals, March 10 & 11
- Trees & Shrubs, March 17 & 18
- Common Insects, Disease, Weeds, & Management, March 24 & 25
An orientation session for participants accepted into the Extension Master Gardener℠ program of Union County will be May 27, 2020, 10 a.m.–3 p.m. This meeting is mandatory for those who have applied for the Extension Master Gardener℠ program of Union County. The $150 training fee will be due with your application by May 1st.
Submit Your Application by May 1
Applications for the Extension Master Gardener℠ program of Union County are due by May 1, 2020. To receive a printed copy of the application and Certification Agreement, contact Debbie Dillion of N.C. Cooperative Extension, Union County Center at 704-283-3729 or email Debbie_dillion@ncsu.edu
Get Involved in Summer Activities and Projects
A variety of optional, formal and informal learning and volunteer activities will be scheduled for the summer including field trips, teaching garden workdays, community events, and luncheons. Summer activities are a great way to get to know your fellow volunteers and increase your knowledge and skills.
Complete EMG Core Training
Core training classes focus on skills you will need as a volunteer. Core training classes will be held on Wednesdays, Aug. 19–Nov. 18, from 10 a.m.–3 p.m. with a lunch break from noon–1 p.m. Successful Gardener meetings & Master Gardener℠ volunteer monthly educational meetings are held at 7 p.m. on the first and third Thursday of each month respectively. (exceptions are July & December). It is recommended you attend these as well.
Core Training – Date/Topic:
- Aug. 19 – Extension Resources, Finding Research-Based Information, UCEMGV Program
- Aug. 26 – Botany & Plant ID
- Sept. 2 – Soils & Fertilizers
- Sept. 9 – Field Trip, (7 a.m.–7 p.m.) Raleigh, N.C. Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services Soil Lab & JC Raulston Arboretum
- Sept. 16 – Plant Pathology
- Sept. 23 – Entomology
- Sept. 30 – Weeds
- Oct. 7 – Field Trip (9 a.m.–3 p.m.) Davidson, Davidson College Arboretum
- Oct. 14 – IPM & Pesticide Safety
- Oct. 21 – Propagation
- Oct. 28 – Pruning
- Oct. 30 – Final Review & Exam
- Nov. 18 – Presentation & Graduation Luncheons for Extension Master Gardener℠ volunteers of Union County Interns
Volunteers will complete a 50-hour internship within one year of completing this training. Trainees are encouraged to begin volunteering during the training course. Learn about volunteer opportunities and outreach efforts you can be a part of!