Extension Master Gardener Program of Union County 2021 Training Schedule
Extension Master Gardener℠ Program of
2021 Training Schedule
Attend an Information Session
The first step in becoming an Extension Master Gardener℠ (EMG) volunteer in Union County is attending an information session. During this session, you will learn what it means to be an EMG and the training and volunteer requirements for the program. This will help you decide if becoming an EMG is the right choice for you. Both sessions are the same & will be held online via Zoom. Please choose the date and time that fits your schedule.
Sessions are scheduled for:
Jan 26, 6 p.m. and January 27, 10 a.m.
Register to attend one of the Information sessions via email at email@example.com or at 704-238-3729.
Attend at Least 6 Extension Gardener Classes this Spring
In addition to being part of the EMG training, Extension Gardener volunteer classes are open to the public. Cost is $40 for all seven classes or $8 for individual classes. Sign up for all seven classes and save $16! For those intending to apply to the Extension Master Gardener℠ training, you must attend six out of the seven classes. Anyone can register and attend these classes, each of which will be offered twice, on a Tuesday evening and again on Wednesday morning:
Click on each class for full details and registration information
- Growing Fruits in the Home Garden, Feb. 9 & 10
- Growing Vegetables & Herbs, Feb. 16 & 17
- Pruning, Feb. 23 & 24
- Growing Annuals & Perennials, March 2 & 3
- Growing Trees & Shrubs, March 9 & 10
- Lawns & Lawn Alternatives, March 16 & 17
- Common Insects, Disease, Weeds, & Management, March 23 & 24
An orientation session for participants accepted into the Extension Master Gardener℠ program of Union County will be May 12, 2021, 10 a.m.–3 p.m. This meeting is mandatory for those who have applied for the Extension Master Gardener℠ program of Union County. The $150 training fee will be due with your application by April 16.
Submit Your Application by April 16
Applications for the Extension Master Gardener℠ program of Union County are due by April 16, 2021. To receive a printed copy of the Application and Certification Agreement, contact Debbie Dillion of N.C. Cooperative Extension, Union County Center at 704-283-3729 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Involved in Summer Activities and Projects
A variety of optional, formal and informal learning and volunteer activities will be scheduled for the summer including field trips, teaching garden workdays, community events, and luncheons. Summer activities are a great way to get to know your fellow volunteers and increase your knowledge and skills.
Complete EMG Core Training
Core training classes focus on skills you will need as a volunteer. Core training classes will be held on Wednesdays, Aug. 18 – Nov. 10, from 10 a.m.–3 p.m. with a lunch break from noon–1 p.m. Successful Gardener meetings & Master Gardener℠ volunteer monthly educational meetings are held at 7 p.m. on the first and third Thursday of each month respectively. (exceptions are July & December). It is recommended you attend these as well.
Core Training – Date/Topic:
- Aug. 18 – Extension Resources, Finding Research-Based Information, UCEMGV Program
- Aug. 25 – Botany & Plant ID
- Sept. 1 – Soils & Fertilizers
- Sept. 8* – Field Trip, (7 a.m.–7 p.m.) Raleigh, N.C. Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services Soil Lab & JC Raulston Arboretum
- Sept. 15 – Plant Pathology
- Sept. 22 – Entomology
- Sept. 29 – Weeds
- Oct. 6* – Field Trip (9 a.m.–3 p.m.) Davidson, Davidson College Arboretum
- Oct. 13 – IPM & Pesticide Safety
- Oct. 20 – Propagation
- Oct. 27 – Pruning
- Nov. 3 – Final Review & Exam
- Nov. 10 – Presentations & Graduation Luncheons for Extension Master Gardener℠ volunteers of Union County Interns
* Notice that start/finish times are different on these dates due to travel fro Field Trips
Volunteers will complete a 50-hour internship within one year of completing this training. Trainees are encouraged to begin volunteering during the training course. Learn about volunteer opportunities and outreach efforts you can be a part of!