FCS@Home – North Carolina Peaches
Warm summertime means delicious peaches from June to September. That’s right! Peaches are a great healthy snack to cool yourself down as they contain 88% of water and to provide important vitamins and minerals like vitamin A and vitamin C. What’s really great about this treat is that it is a low-calorie option, with a 100-grams of peaches providing 39 calories for the day.
Peaches are also an important part of North Carolina agriculture. In 2016, the USDA reported North Carolina being the 7th top producer of all peaches in the United States. The state also produces an on average 3.6 million pounds of peaches for selling each year.
A great way to celebrate and enjoy the wonderful peaches coming out of North Carolina are through a delicious recipe for grilled fruit kababs provided by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Try this wonderful summertime recipe below.
Grilled Fruit Kebabs
Ingredients and Supplies
- 12 skewers
- 4 cups of assorted cubed fruit (one of them being peaches)
- 1 tablespoon of Canola Oil
- 2 tablespoons of Honey
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- and ¼ teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium hot.
- Add on your fruit cubes evenly onto the skewers making sure to switch up the different varieties. In a small bowl, you’ll mix together the honey, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon.
- Lightly brush the kababs with the oil and place them on the grill cook for 3-5 minutes per side basing with the honey mixture until you see the delicious grill marks.
- Remove from the grill and brush on any remaining honey mixture and serve warm.
If you’re looking for more ways to enjoy peaches, like our delicious pickled peaches recipe, be sure to check out our FCS@home videos here for great tips, tricks, and recipes. Hope you have a peachy keen summer with peaches!